Linking to that STP video in my last post got me to thinking…
- How could their music videos have been so bad when their recorded live sessions were so good?
- Their first two albums were so good, the diminishing returns that followed could be forgiven (unlike Pearl Jam, who never learned how to stop making bad albums)
- I first heard them 18 years ago? Really?? Damn I feel old… Max will feel about them like I felt about the Beatles! (He won’t really like them for another 18 years?)
- One of my favorite thing about Wikipedia is that it teaches me new (mostly useless) stuff about things I’ve liked/used for years. For example: “…the band’s name was inspired by a carving in an ancient temple that depicts a man in a small flying ship, a reference to ancient aliens.” (Cosmic Buddha’s article will someday read: “…the band’s name was inspired by a chalkboard explanation of Greater and Lesser Vehicles by the head of their Japanese exchange program in a horribly humid classroom in Tenri, Japan.” Yes, this website and domain name were originally used for our band; live band sessions ended but playing on the internet sessions didn’t.)
- When Mina has a gun, everybody run (imagined threat; props to STP)
- When Mina has a knife, quickly take it away, or run for your life (I am ashamed to say this actually happened when we were eating steak together)
- When Mina has a stick, cover up your ________ . (Max, earlier this evening: Daddy, why are you crying?)
Mina was playing on the bed earlier tonight when she slipped off a stack of pillows and tottered on the edge of the mattress, with a two foot fall to the tile floor suddenly imminent.
I dove over the metal frame at the foot of the bed and made a blind grab for her leg just as she fell over backward, and ended up gripping her chubby little thigh… My arm automatically did a dumbbell curl and Mina twisted and hit the tile very lightly with her forehead, causing her to cry out in surprise.
She ended up crying for a whole 30 seconds or so (long for her) and promptly went back to jumping around on the bed, as I laid a sleeping mat down next to the bed and thanked whatever illustrious monkey in the sky that enables fat daddies to suddenly spring into action and prevent less desirable outcomes.
I need new glasses; I’m definitely going to one of the branches (3 or 4?) in town this week.